Bexley, Sydney, New South Wales

Highlighting history of suburban sydney with the simpida’s cooks, river history group: our aim is to preserve and promote local history. We are based at saint peter’s in sydney’s inner west, located 14 kilometers south of the sydney central business district. Bexley is part of the sun george area. In 1822, james chandler purchased the land on which the suburb now stands. His property was called bexley after his birthplace in kent england, mitchell’s new line of road.

Today’S forest road was built through the bexley estate in 1844, giving timber getters access to the area. The waste was burnt to produce charcoal in 1853 john downey purchased land, which he named prospect farm. His stone cottage still stands on the corner of downey and mimosa streets. In 1858, william sixsmith noted for driving the first train from sydney to parramatta bought land built a cottage and established a vineyard called rhinelands. He never lived there but leased it to a series of tenants.

In 1859, george predi purchased two parcels of land on the western side of forest road and built bezberra. On the eastern side, joseph davis erected lithum davis, a butcher rests a cattle there before slaughtering them at arncliff. In 1876, pierce’s store was located on forest road near the harrow road junction. An unofficial post office opened there in 1882 and eliza pierce became postmistress in 1928, an official post office opened. This was replaced in 1972, joseph godwin’s store on forest road, provided a variety of services miles mcrae land speculator was responsible for major subdivisions in the area.

The opening of the illawarra railway line was highlighted in land sale advertisements. The ocean view estate from forest road to the railway line was the largest, the pure air elevation, scenery, wide streets, good drainage and closeness to the railway were promoted. It had wide avenues plus a grand square for public recreation, seaforth park linton park had charming villa sights and forest views in nearly every direction. Bexley heights was described as 600 yards from the bay street railway station and 300 feet above sea level, famous for its salubrious character of the climate, so much so that doctors are not needed. Elfington hill was as high above sea level as hurstville as beautiful as the uplands of england as accessible as randwick as healthy as manly as fertile as lane cove joseph davis’s subdivision was called the little hill estate.

Some streets were named after his sons. It was promoted as a healthy, pleasant sight in a gladsome situation, with a gentle slope to rockdale station lovely views, land and seascape bexley gained a reputation as one of the fashionable new suburbs of sydney. Henry kinsler of the firm of funeral directors built kinsell grove with landscape grounds, a private animal park and purebed race horses, picnic race meetings were held there. John mccloud had built on vegan today the lucy gullit convalescent wing of rockdale, centenary, village, now scalabrine village, his son’s home clooney bray became the victoria house wedding and function center. Henry titswell was the first resident in gladstone street his home.

The henning was bought by church of christ, clergyman the reverend c forskot, who established rockdale college for boys. The college closed in 1908 and reopened the following year as the bexley ladies college, a finishing school for girls. It existed until the 1950s joseph palmer built an elmo on harrow road. In 1928, four members of the family were murdered there by a deranged relative office at samilmo, rhodium arundel and pavenci, frederick gagliardi importer built italia on the corner of bickensfield and harrow roads. Winterdine in dunmore street was built by james conley, a senior public servant.

Today, the fairmont nursing home del monte monomer street was the home of bank manager. Isaac. Chapman oakland’s oriental street was built by an iron manga charles james bernie, leighton, stone, connemara street, the home of henry watson, harridans, a builder tonbridge gladstone street, the home of thomas nunn contractor transport in the area was by private carriage, a two-horse wagonet, which was infrequent as A journey was only made when there was a full load or pius waltz’s handsome cab, the arklifter bexley steam tram, commenced in 1909. The bexley terminus was in stoney creek road at prettys road. It ceased operating in 1928.

Cornelius ifland ran the bexy horse bus service. In 1918 he purchased motor buses, which operated for many years from rockdale via bexley to hurstville. Pioneer coaches based at bexley, were noted for their red and blue colors and were affectionately known as the blue bus. The foundation stone of christchurch anglican church was laid in 1886..

The parish hall was used for public meetings and the overflow from the public school. Many local groups had their beginnings there. In 1887, the foundation stone of the presbyterian church was laid in the same year. Bexley public school opened between broadford and bayview streets. Land was purchased in 1921 on the eastern side of forest road.

Originally james glenn’s property springfield. The house was converted into classrooms, then demolished and a new school building erected in 1924 from 1938 until 1962, the original buildings housed the bexley home science secondary school then became the infant school. The original buildings were sold today, the submarines and mina coptic orthodox college. Behind the college is the saint mary and minna coptic orthodox church, which moved to bexley from sydenham in 2001. Bexley was originally part of the municipality of hurstville, unsatisfactory roads and a chaotic sanitary service led to ratepayers, advocating a separation from hurstville.

In june 1900, the municipality of bexley was incorporated. Meetings were held at rockdale college until land was purchased in queen victoria street to build council chambers. Today the jack and jill kindergarten in 1949 bexy council was amalgamated with rockdale. Today, bayside council, the methodist church, opened in 1904. The existing structure completed in 1925, became a uniting church in the 1970s in 1909, the bexley boy scout and girl guide groups were formed.

A scout hall was erected in abercorn street early in the 20th century there was more land subdivision. Tenders were called for. The erection of a fire station on the corner of queen victoria street and forest road, the building, has now been converted into apartments. In 1911, bexley council purchased 10 acres of pretties estate to create bexley park. The pavilion and dressing sheds opened in 1915 Bexley oval became the home ground of the saint george district baseball club and bexley district cricket club.

In 1912. The congregational church was a weather board. Building a new brick church opened in 1927, the baptist church sold its weatherboard building on the corner of kingsland and forest roads. A new brick structure was built in 1921., the salvation army boys home, opened on kingsland road.

In 1915, a salvation army citadel on the corner of forest road and princess street opened the following year. During world war, one one pound was paid by people to have their names embroidered on bexley’s patriotic flag. The funds were used to provide comforts for men at the front 59. Men, women and children had their names on the flag. Today, its whereabouts is a mystery.

The bexley picture palace, which opened in 1918 on broadfoot street, closed in 1924.. In the early 1920s, there was a rabid expansion of the shopping center, an increase from 30 to 78 shops. T white house’s tailor shop was located on the site of white house corner in 1924. The album picture theater was licensed.

It was later known as george and then the odeon. After closing, in 1959, it was used as a shopper’s fare until demolished for home units. The masonic call was completed in 1923, The motto on the front, grater quiesce means welcome rest. In 1925, a school of arts containing a library and billiard room opened. The gaslight company sold its land on the corner of kingsland and stoney creek roads.

It became the location of the bexar tale. Today, the forest inn hotel, another section of the land was acquired by the irsl, which began in a weatherboard building. The old club has been replaced by modern facilities. Saint gabriel’s catholic church school opened in 1939, saint gabriel’s church in american colonial style building was erected on the site of the kinsell grove estate stables in 1952. The first meeting in the gospel hall was in 1954 Previously meetings were held in the district band hall, the dolls hospital moved from her majesty’s arcade to bexley in 1968.

It is now located at appin by the end of the 1960s. Many of the grand houses had been converted to nursing homes, schools or function. Centers development in bexley at that time was limited to two stories. Millers became a popular alternative to home units in 1976. The bexley swimming center opened three pools are established, a creek which ran through the site was piped and the surrounding area landscaped closing in 2015.

It was upgraded and reopened as an aquatic center. During the 1980s forest road became a major truck route which led to the decline of the shopping center before the downturn, the shopping centre included several banks, building societies and many grocery and specialty shops. Banks have found new uses. The former commonwealth bank is now office space. An iga supermarket is on the site of cole’s variety store today beck says: traffic issues overshadow the hidden treasures from the past, its grand houses and public buildings.

If you enjoyed this video subscribe to our channel coming soon, newtown webster’s new town store was the beginning of today’s vibrant shopping thoroughfare and check out our website. Saint peterscooksriverhistory.wordpress.com

You May Also Like